You can get a better article at my LinkedIn article site at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/natron-how-i-speed-up-my-render-omar-s-brown
Join NatronNation at https://lnkd.in/eg-6HUa.
## Version 2.2.8
– OpenGL interact is now always affected by transforms even if there is motion blur.
– Radial, Rectangle and generators: when the Extent is set to Size, and Reformat is not checked, Bottom Left and Size can be animated.
– add Box filter to Transform, CornerPin, GodRays, and all Distortion nodes.
– ContactSheet, LayerContactSheet: Make a contact sheet from several inputs, frames or layers (beta)
@devernay devernay released this a day ago
Fix undo when manipulating 2D points in the viewer interact #1576
Fix manipulating the interact plugin on non-retiming inputs of retiming effects (e.g. the Retime Map in Slitscan) #1577
Fix exporting curves to ascii (eg ColorLookup), and values for xstart, xincr and xend can now be simple expressions.
DenoiseSharpen: the output is now the noisy source when Noise Analysis is not locked. It is easier to see where there is noise that way, and it also makes the plugin usable in Resolve (which calls render even if non-significant parameters are changed)
Generators now may set the output format when Extent=Size (as they do when Extent=Format or Extent=Project).
Rework many plugins so that they work better in DaVinci Resolve (all generators including Radial and Rectangle, CopyRectangle, DenoiseSharpen, LensDistortion, HSVTool, ImageStatistics, Position)
Card3D (beta): Transform and image as if it were projected on a 3D card.
## Version 2.2.4
– Write: remove Python page, add Info page
– ReadFFmpeg: fix “Image Info…” button (which calls ffprobe) when file path is relative to a project variable
– fix high-resolution application icons
– Readers and writers now only get the colorspace from the filename if it is before the extension and preceded by a delimiter
– BilateralGuided: bug fix
– Natron can now use plugins compiled with the DaVinci Resolve OpenFX SDK (which assumes that the host is Resolve), such as the Paul Dore plugins (see https://github.com/baldavenger/). These plugins may require CUDA runtime library to run. It can be found in the Resolve installation. On macOS, execute
cp "/Applications/DaVinci Resolve/DaVinci Resolve.app/Contents/Libraries/libcudart.dylib /Applications/Natron.app/Contents/Frameworks/libcudart.7.5.dylib
I am creating a 3 minute short for an iPhone Film Festival that would like to enter. I am using Filmic Pro film/video recording app. It is one of the best if not the best filmmakers app for the iPhone. I am using Editshares Lightworks to ingest and editing my own personal short films. I own FCPx and Avid Media Composer, but Lightworks has certain effects built-in that I find conducive to my abstract film work.
The image below is an incomplete assembly edit and more footage & audio/sound-bytes will be added. The main point of this blog is that I wanted to show how you can use free and open source software together to get a project done.
The image below is Natron Digital Compositor. It is a very powerful open source app that provides features that are in commercial digital vfx compositing software. I am using Natron to do all of my 2D tracking and visual effect overlays and then render them out to ingest in to Lightworks for final grading.
Lightworks can use Natron as a helper app like it was a plugin but there are other issues of roundtrip processing that is not implemented as of now. Your work around is to create a edit or sub-clip for each shot that needs vfx and render them out. Import them into Natron, process the shot & render, then ingest back into Lightworks for finishing. It is a symbiotic relationship between the two apps.
The video below is a 2D track using two trackers. One tracker was for XY Translation and the second tracker used was for scale and rotation. The wind was blowing a tree in my backyard for the initial opening effect. I use those flower buds to match move my overlaid text. Natron TrackPM node has gotten better since V2.0 snapshot development. I was able to just use the SAD score tracking algorithm instead of the NCC or ZNCC. Lighting variations didn’t break the 2D solves.
More footage will need to be captured and more out door sound bytes will need to be recorded. Natron can handle larger project and effects than this short I am doing. It is nice to see that the tracker is much more production ready.
The video below is a screen capture of Natron’s TrackerPM node in progress.